Dr. Raman’s Favorite Holiday Recipe
I remember a time when the only place you could find me was in the kitchen. No silly…..it wasn’t because I was eating all the time, it was because I loved feeding others. I still do.
In 2014 in a matter of months, I developed sudden food allergies to delicacies I used to love to cook and indulge in. Being a vegetarian since childhood, I was already limited in my food choices. When the list of what I couldn’t eat became longer than what I could eat, the kitchen was the last place I wanted to be.
I didn’t even care to find alternatives to my favorites, I just quit searching.
For health reasons, I took my nutrition one step further and became vegan May 2018. I feel better now than ever before. Over the last couple of months, I have started tip-toeing back to the one room in the house that once gave me solace.
I thought this month we could have a little fun with a holiday recipe. I have been experimenting with the Instapot to see if my life could become any easier with the InstaPot. Verdict is still out!
Enjoy this Indian variation of a holiday favorite of mine.
Vegetable Pulao InstaPot (Main Course)
- 1 cup Basmati Rice– rinsed
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Green Chili Pepper
- 1/2 cup Onion sliced
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger minced
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 Potato medium, cut into small peices
- 2 cups Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Green Beans, Peas, Corn, Edmame) frozen or fresh
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric (Haldi powder)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne or Red Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Salt
Whole Spices (available at any Indian grocery store)
- 1 Bay leaf
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 stick Cinnamon
- 1 Ani seed
- 4 Cloves
- Turn on InstaPot to saute mode and allow to heat. Add oil and once oil warm add the, whole spices. Sauté 30 seconds until the cumin seeds change color.
- Once the whole spices start to sizzle and sputter, add the green chili, onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add tomato and spices. Mix well with other ingredients. Next add the potatoes and mixed vegetables. Mix until everything is blended.
- Add the rice and water. Mix well. Close the lid with vent in sealing position.
- Change the InstaPot to MANUAL for 4 minutes/high pressure.
- As the InstaPot begins to beep, do a natural pressure release (NPR) for approx. 10minutes. Once all the pressure has been released, open the lid.
- Fluff the rice gently with a fork to mix the rice with the vegetables that may have settled at the bottom.
Pulao is a hot ticket item at any party! Enjoy the warm comforts of home cooking without the unnecessary calories of processed foods!
Wishing you and your families a happy, safe and joyous holiday season!
Dr. Raman’s Concierge Medical Practice is focused on holistic care and good health maintenance.
For more information on natural ways to relieve stress, CONTACT our office today to schedule your appointment.
You can learn more by following Dr. Raman on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest.