Posts Tagged ‘outdoor fun activities’
5 Reasons to Spend More Time Outside This Summer
As the sun glares over the horizon, the warmth of its rays welcomes us to come be present with nature in the great outdoors.
After nearly 10 weeks of doing what is best for our nation and the people of it, we began to sense the door was cracking just enough to raise our excitement.
However, this doesn’t mean it is business as usual. I caution you not to fall into the patterns of previous behaviors. We are not even close to being out of the woods.
But with what we have learnt about the Coronavirus, making smart and safe decisions can ensure we keep ourselves and others safe while being able to enjoy the summer days ahead.
We are still in the nucleus of a pandemic – and unless safe guidelines are in place, even outdoor fun can put us in a major setback.
When I intended to write on this topic a couple of weeks ago, it looked very different in my mind than it does now.
How can we ignore what is happening in our streets, in every corner of our world and within every community that surrounds our lives. All of this while a virus, known as Covid, continues to silently tear through leaving a painful path of its presence.
How are we to make sense of any of what is happening while continuing to live our day to day lives? I don’t know that we can.
But getting outdoors maybe the best possible thing we can do right now.
Here are just some ideas on how to spend more time outside this summer to get you started while still staying safe.
- Family picnics. Go back to the good ole days with a blanket on the ground, homemade sandwiches and the lingering scent of bug spray. After a satisfying meal, just lay back and look at the massive painting of stars, each one waiting for you to make a wish. Such simplicity.
- Ice cream stroll. How fun! Load up the family, after all who can’t be bribed with ice cream, and visit your local ice cream parlor. Make it a to-go order and enjoy the savory summer treats while strolling the streets of your community. What a wonderful way to support local business, get to know your neighbors and be out in nature. Everyone wins.
- Family tag. Ok. You may have a little trouble getting the older ones off their screen for this one, but it may be worth a try. Do you remember the game of freeze tag? The game goes like this, if you are tagged, you have to freeze and cannot move until someone untags you? Oh boy, do I remember. We played this all the time and I would constantly pull pranks on my friends. Right before we would begin to play, I would tell my friends that the only coolest kid was able to drink five glasses of water in 2 minutes. And I double dared them to do it. And they did. By the time the game started, they all were running around with a full bladder. When they were tagged, they would lose right away because they were unable to stand still because they had to pee so bad! So, I won most of the time, until they caught on to my ploy. It is a blast. You should try it with the family minus the water prank, unless you are competitive like me and really want to win. It is hilarious to watch and keeps everyone hydrated.
- Backyard camping. How much lower maintenance camping can you get than this? Pitch a tent or roll out the sleeping back in the privacy of your own back yard. Take in the cool night breeze and reflect on how the last 10+ weeks have brought us all back to the way life is supposed to be lived.
- Car roof chats. If it is just a night with the two of you or you are in need of some alone time, why not climb to the rooftop of the car and enjoy conversations with each other or yourself from a different vantage point? It is amazing how a change in location can bring clarity to thoughts and feelings. It is worth finding out, right?
My friends, this was a challenging task to write this blog. I wanted to find a way to write on a topic that was light but in no way take away from the reality of the darkness that surrounds us.
I DO NOT want to diminish the magnitude of healing that still awaits us. Our hearts are heavy and our spirits are weary. But if we don’t find ways to take care ourselves, how can we hold up our brothers and sisters?
In the few minutes you spend reading this blog, my hope is you place down all the burdens being carried upon you and remind yourself that the world is good and it will once again become our home.
As we are caught in between the splintered worlds of the unknowns, the only thing I know how to do is extend my hand.
I hope being in the embrace of nature allows you to find the solace within the inertia of more questions and not enough answers.
Dr. Raman’s Concierge Medical Practice is focused on holistic care and good health maintenance. For more information on healthy eating habits and achieving and maintaining OPTIMAL health, CONTACT our office today to schedule your appointment. You can also learn more by following Dr. Raman on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest.