Posts Tagged ‘strength training’
Tips For Working Out At Home
Six weeks have passed since ringing in the New Year with all of those promising resolutions to get healthy. We set our intentions and march forward to sign up for those “unbeatable” gym specials. However, Old Man Winter can get in the way of leaving the house so we can keep up with those promising resolutions.
Whatever the reason that kept you from using that newly minted membership card, look no further. Here are my suggestions on ways to stay active without having to leave your home.
The benefits of incorporating resistance training far surpasses hours on a cardio machine. Resistance bands have become one of my absolute favorite tools to have. The versatility as well as the safety and ease of use are suitable to almost all fitness levels.
Bands are available online or at any retail store. Depending on the brand, prices can range from $5-$30+, a very worthwhile investment.
If you have any medical concerns that may preclude you from exercising, be sure to discuss it with your physician before beginning any exercise regimen.
My Band Resistant Workout: Recommend 3x/week
Warm-up: 7 minutes
Block 1: Repeat 2x rounds. Tie band around a sturdy structure so that both ends are available to hold. (ie a wall pillar, couch leg, a tree etc)
- Band squats. Extend arms straight holding on to end of the band, squat, one sec pause at the bottom and then stand. Repeat 15x reps.
- Alternating lunges. Extend arms straight holding on to end of band, alternate reverse lunges
Repeat 15x reps each side.
- Squat jack. Extend arms straight holding on to end of the band, sit low in a squat and begin jumping jacks. Repeat 30x low squat jack.
Cardio: 2 minutes high knees
Block 2: Repeat 2x rounds. Free up band from structure.
- Lateral pulldown. Hold band in the center with approximately 12 inches between each hand, then raise band overhead and while pulling down to chest, pull the bands apart. Stop mid chest and slowly extend back overhead. Repeat 15x reps.
- Bicep curls. With hands in same position as 1st exercise, rest the hands on the thighs palms facing up. Next, create tension on the band by pulling it apart in opposite direction as you flex the elbows to the foreheard. Lower back down slowly. Repeat 15x reps.
- Chest pull aparts. Keeping band at chest level, begin pulling the band in opposite directions to outside of chest, 3 sec pause, slowly return to center. Repeat 15x reps.
Cardio: 2 minutes run in place
Cool down/Stretch: 7 minutes.
This format is only a starting point to get you motivated to stay focused on your health. There are any number of resources (online videos, books or magazines, personal trainers) that maybe utilized to take these few exercises and transform them into a consistent way of life, no matter what the outside circumstance maybe.
Be greater than your excuses!
Dr. Raman’s Concierge Medical Practice is focused on holistic care and good health maintenance. For more information on healthy eating habits and achieving and maintaining OPTIMAL health, CONTACT our office today to schedule your appointment. You can also learn more by following Dr. Raman on Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Pinterest.