I remember a time when the only place you could find me was in the kitchen. No silly…..it wasn’t because I was eating all the time, it was because I loved feeding others. I still do.
In 2014 in a matter of months, I developed sudden food allergies to delicacies I used to love to cook and indulge in. Being a vegetarian since childhood, I was already limited in my food choices. When the list of what I couldn’t eat became longer than what I could eat, the kitchen was the last place I wanted to be.
I didn’t even care to find alternatives to my favorites, I just quit searching.
For health reasons, I took my nutrition one step further and became vegan May 2018. I feel better now than ever before. Over the last couple of months, I have started tip-toeing back to the one room in the house that once gave me solace.
I thought this month we could have a little fun with a holiday recipe. I have been experimenting with the Instapot to see if my life could become any easier with the InstaPot. Verdict is still out!
Enjoy this Indian variation of a holiday favorite of mine.
Vegetable Pulao InstaPot (Main Course)
- 1 cup Basmati Rice– rinsed
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 1 Green Chili Pepper
- 1/2 cup Onion sliced
- 1/2 tbsp Ginger minced
- 1/2 tbsp Garlic minced
- 1/2 cup Tomato chopped
- 1 Potato medium, cut into small peices
- 2 cups Mixed Vegetables (Carrots, Green Beans, Peas, Corn, Edmame) frozen or fresh
- 1 1/4 cup Water
- 1/2 tsp Ground Turmeric (Haldi powder)
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne or Red Chili powder
- 1/2 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Salt
Whole Spices (available at any Indian grocery store)
- Turn on InstaPot to saute mode and allow to heat. Add oil and once oil warm add the, whole spices. Sauté 30 seconds until the cumin seeds change color.
- Once the whole spices start to sizzle and sputter, add the green chili, onion, ginger and garlic. Sauté until the onion becomes transparent.
- Add tomato and spices. Mix well with other ingredients. Next add the potatoes and mixed vegetables. Mix until everything is blended.
- Add the rice and water. Mix well. Close the lid with vent in sealing position.
- Change the InstaPot to MANUAL for 4 minutes/high pressure.
- As the InstaPot begins to beep, do a natural pressure release (NPR) for approx. 10minutes. Once all the pressure has been released, open the lid.
- Fluff the rice gently with a fork to mix the rice with the vegetables that may have settled at the bottom.
Pulao is a hot ticket item at any party! Enjoy the warm comforts of home cooking without the unnecessary calories of processed foods!
Wishing you and your families a happy, safe and joyous holiday season!
For more information on natural ways to relieve stress, CONTACT our office today to schedule your appointment.